What is Spiritual Direction?
Spiritual Direction is an ancient tradition where an individual journeys with a spiritual director in the
search for a closer and more vibrant relationship with God.
The goal of Spiritual Direction is a deeper awareness and appreciation of God’s presence and
movement in all relationships and circumstances.
Spiritual Direction involves deep listening, which helps people live more reflective and grateful lives. The contemplative time of a direction session can provide rest and refreshment for weary souls.
Spiritual direction is not about isolating, but rather about learning how our spirituality is meant to be embodied in all aspects of our daily lives. It’s a time for clients to discover their belovedness, and in turn share with others the love they’ve experienced.
The True “Director”
The title spiritual “director” is misleading because it’s the Holy Spirit who is the true director in the room. The Holy Spirit is the true Host, prompting and guiding the agenda while the director and client pay attention to the promptings.
What is a Spiritual Direction session like?
Typically sessions take place once a month for one hour. It’s a safe opportunity for clients to tell God what’s on their mind, to share their longing and to listen for what God might have to say about their current situation. It’s a chance to reflect on life’s events, to bring whatever is on a client’s heart with the desire to notice where God may be working. Clients might talk about how they and God are getting along, what the theme of their life has been the past month, what their current prayer life is like, their desire for discernment in making decisions, or topics related to their relationships.
Spiritual Direction is a unique space to embrace God through:
- deep listening
- reflective questions
- times of silence and prayer
- art making
- guided meditation
- scripture reading
- dream work
Spiritual Direction could be a wonderful experience for you if you:
- Desire a closer relationship with Jesus Christ
- Seek discernment for major life transitions
- Desire a place to share the questions, sorrows and joys of your spiritual journey
- Are curious to learn more about:
spiritual practices, (such as silence, gratitude etc.) and different types of prayer
- Desire space to rest and learn to breathe deeply
Through our sessions, I pray you would experience:
- greater awareness of God’s presence and voice
- new ability to live into the wonder and embrace of God
- freedom to accept and love yourself
- a growing sense of your purpose and inner calling
- courage to explore the creative arts as you express yourself
- a more balanced and disciplined life
- increased peace and joy
- greater desire to love and serve your community
Rebecca Fuller is a Master’s level mental health counselor committed to providing compassionate, change-oriented and affordable counseling for adolescents, adults and families. For a free life changing 1 hour consultation visit www.FullerCounseling.com or call 206-999-9537